|Peder Vilhelm Jensen-Klint - Denmark
På Bjerget 14B, Copenhagen
1913 - 1940
The Grundtvig's Church is located in the Bispebjerg district of Copenhagen, and is named named after the Danish philosopher and hymn writer N. F. S. Grundtvig. This building is a rare example of expressionist church architecture. As a consequence of its unusual appearance, it is one of the best known churches in Copenhagen.The Grundtvigs's Church is considered to be one of the most important Danish architectural works of the time, having great influence onto the following generations of Danish architects. The commission for the design and construction of this church was decided by a competition, which was won by Peder Vilhelm Jensen-Klint in 1913. The construction of the building was only started after World War I, when the foundation was layd on 8 September 1921. The construction works were carried out mainly in the years from 1921 to 1926. At the end of this period was completed the impressive tower section. The following year was celebrated the inauguration of the so-called Tower Church. The construction continued until 1940 with works on the interior and on the adjacent buildings. After the death of Peder Vilhelm Jensen-Klint, the church was completed by Kaare Klint. The Grundtvig's Church is positioned in the centre of a residential development, which is also designed by Jensen-Klint. Church and residential building are made of yellow bricks, creating an ensemble of great harmony. A long tree-lined road runs through the Bispebjerg cemetery directly towards the church and the flanking buildings, resulting in a viewing axis similar to those conceived during Baroque period. The church is strongly related to traditional Danish village churches with their stepped gables. Traditional building techniques and materials were merged by Jensen-Klint with then modern geometric forms of Brick Expressionism and the classical verticality of Gothic architecture, resulting in a synthesis of different architectural styles. The west facade of the church is the most impressive feature of the building, including the 49 m tall bell tower. The interior of the church offers space for a congregation of 1`800. The plan layout remembers a typical gothic church with a nave, two lateral aisles and a small transept. The interior space impresses with an extremely high ceiling, emphasizing the verticality of the construction.