|Johannes Krahn - Germany|
Johannes Krahn (17.05.1908–17.10.1974) studied architecture from 1923 to 1927 at the Technische Lehranstalten Offenbach. From 1927 to 1928 he continued
his studies at the Kölner Werkschulen in the master classes of Dominikus Böhm. Johannes Krahn became interested in building churches through his contact with
Dominikus Böhm. From 1928 to 1940, Johannes Krahn worked with Rudolf Schwarz, another architect who became famous for his religous buildings.
Johannes Krahn graduated as a civil engineer at the RWTH Aachen University.
After the second World War, Johannes Krahn was in charge of the rebuilding of the Pauluskirche in Frankfurt. The rebuilding started in 1947, later he was on the team to
rebuild the Städel. The French Embassy in Bad Godesberg is one of his important buildings of the 1950s. The so-coalled Beehive House (Bienenkorbhaus), which was
completed by Johannes Krahn in 1954, belongs to the early skyscraper buildings. The church St. Wendel in Frankfurt (1957) has been compared with buildings of Le Corbusier
in terms of material and flow of light. With the church St. Wendel in St. Martin (Idstein), Johannes Krahn created a new variation of interplay bteween stonemasonry,
glass and concrete. Together with Richard Heil, he built the City Hochhaus (1973) in Frankfurt. The church St. Aegidius in Bonn-Buschdorf is one of the last designs by
Johannes Krahn, the project was realized after his death by his son.
Johannes Krahn taught at the Kunstgewerbeschule Aachen. Since 1954 he was a professor of architecture at the Städelschule Frankfurt. From 1965 to 1970 he was
director of the Städelschule. In his lessens he stressed function, construction and material, and refrained from pure ornament.
1954 Beehive House (Bienenkorbhaus) - Frankfurt
1955 Apartment Building Fahrgasse - Frankfurt
1974 City Skyscraper - Frankfurt
1977 Eurotower - Frankfurt