|Aldo Rossi - Italy|
Aldo Rossi (03.05.1931–04.09.1997) graduated from the Milan Politecnico in 1959. He achieved international recognition in the field of theory, drawing, architecture and even product design.
From 1955 to 1964 Aldo Rossi was writing for the architectural magazine Casabella-Continuitą, with editor in chief Ernesto Nathan Rogers from the BBPR office. Aldo Rossi stopped writing
for Casabella-Continuitą when there was a change in chief editorship to Gian Antonio Bernasconi. From then on he was writing for other magazins, what mad him a very active participant
in the cultural debate of the time.
Aldo Rossi startet his proffessional career at the studion of Ignazio Gardella in the year 1956. He started teaching 1963 as an assistant to Ludovico Quaroni.
In 1965 he was appointed lecturer at the Milan Politecnico and the following year he published his important book "the architecture of the city". When Aldo Rossi was suspended
from teaching in Italy, he moved to ETH Zurich (1971-1975), achieving a far reaching influence on the development of swiss architecture.
Initially Aldo Rossi was mainly dedicated to architectural theory and smaller buildings. His career took a huge leap forward, when Aymonino invited Rossi to design part of the
Monte Amiata residential complex in the Gallaratese quarter of Milan. After winning the desing competition for the extension of teh San Cataldo Cemetery in Modena in 1971,
he became internationally famous for this austere work. In the year 1990, Aldo Rossi was the first Italian architect to receive the Pritzker Prize.
1969 - 1974 Quartiere Gallarates Complesso Monte Amiata, Milano
1971 - 1980 San Cataldo Cemetery, Modena
1981 - 1988 Residential and Commercial Building IBA 87, Berlin
1984 - 1987 Casa Auroa, Turin
1992 - 1995 Bonnefantenmuseum, Maastricht