Michiel Brinkman - Netherlands

The two free-standing, tower-like office buildings are among the best-known designs of the Dutch architect Frans van Gool and are located in the immediate vicinity of the Rijksmuseum. In their size, volumetry and contour, the buildings refer to the villas that had previously been on the site. The two buildings are located on the border between the canal zone and the 19th century districts. The two elegant office buildings with up to seven storeys have exposed brick facades. The façades are punctuated by a regular pattern of square windows without subdivision. The total of 312 windows with tinted panes are installed flush with the façade. In this way, the physical appearance of the buildings is emphasised. The controversial buildings became known in 1980 during the debate on the aesthetics of functionalist architecture. Local columnists were very negative about the buildings - only over the years had the criticism gradually subsided.
The Dutch architect Michiel Brinkman (1873 - 1925) founded his own office in Rotterdam. After studying with Henri Evers at the Academy of Fine Arts and Applied Sciences, he had worked in the architectural office of Barend Hooijkaas Jr. until 1910. Between 1908 and 1909 Michiel Brinkman worked for Barend Hooijkaas on what is now the National Monument of the Royal Rowing and Sailing Club "De Maas" at the Veerhaven. Despite his classical training, Michiel Brinkman's work shows modern expressions.
Michiel Brinkman achieved great fame in particular through his design of the "Justus van Effen Complex" in the Spangen district of Rotterdam. But he also designed offices, factories, warehouses and villas. From 1913 to 1915, he also worked on the design for the De Maas steam mill in Maashaven. The architectural office achieved international fame after being handed over to his successors J.A. Brinkman, L.C. van der Vlugt and J.H. van den Broek and Jaap Bakema. Thus, the aforementioned steam mill was also designed and realised in the final phase by the architectural firm Brinkman & van der Vlugt.

Der niederländische Architekt Michiel Brinkman (1873 - 1925) gründete sein eigenes Büro in Rotterdam. Er hatte nach seinem Studium bei Henri Evers an der Akademie der Schönen Künste und Angewandten Wissenschaften bis 1910 im Architketurbüro von Barend Hooijkaas Jr. gearbeitet. In den Jahren 1908 bis 1909 arbeitete Michiel Brinkman bei Hooijkaas am heutigen Nationaldenkmal des Königlichen Ruder- und Segelvereins "De Maas" am Veerhaven. Trotz seiner klassischen Ausbildung zeigt das Werk von Michiel Brinkmann moderne Ausprägungen.
Michiel Brinkman erlangte insbesondere durch den Entwurf des "Justus van Effen Complex" im rotterdamer Stadtteil Spangen grosse Bekanntheit. Er entwarf aber auch Büros, Fabriken Lagerhäuser und Villen. Von 1913 bis 1915 arbeitete er zudem am Entwurf für die Dampfmühle De Maas in Maashaven. Das Architekturbüro erlangte nach der Übergabe an seine Nachfolge J.A. Brinkman, L.C. van der Vlugt und J.H. van den Broek und Jaap Bakema internationale Berühmtheit. So wurde auch die erwähnte Dampfmühle in der letzten Phase durch das Architekturbüro Brinkman & van der Vlugt entworfen und realisiert.

1919 - 1922  Justus van Effen Complex, Rotterdam